Art and design stimulates creativity and imagination. It provides visual, tactile and sensory experiences and a special way of understanding and responding to the world. It enables children to communicate what they see, feel and think through the use of colour, texture, form, pattern and different materials and processes. Children become involved in shaping their environments through art and design activities. They learn to make informed judgements and aesthetic and practical decisions, becoming actively involved in making images and objects and learning to shape their own environment. They explore the ideas and meanings in the work of artists and designers. They learn the part that art and design plays in their own and others’ lives in contemporary life and in different times and cultures. This enables pupils to become involved in, enjoy, understand and appreciate the visual arts which enrich their personal lives.
Aims and objectives
- Through the teaching of art we aim to:
Enable children to record from first-hand experience and from imagination, and to select their own ideas to use in their work;
- Provide children with the skills, concepts and knowledge necessary for them to express their responses to ideas, feelings and experiences in a visual and tactile way.
- Help children learn to use a variety of materials, tools and processes, including ICT, safely, experimentally and with increasing confidence, technical control and skill.
- Encourage the development of imagination, original thought and personal expression.
- Enable children to become visually literate and develop their ability to appreciate and evaluate images and artefacts.
- Develop children’s aesthetic awareness and enable them to make informed critical responses about their work and that of others, developing a specialist vocabulary.
- Give children the opportunity to learn about the work of modern and traditional artists.
- Encourage children to value the contribution made to their world by artists, craftspeople and designers from this and other cultures, past and present.
- Help children develop socially through collaborative working.
- Provide equal opportunities for all children to reach their full potential.
Please click on the link below to read our Art and Design Subject Progression Grid.